Wednesday 27 July 2016

Lithuania


We caught a bus from Riga to Vilnuis in the rain. Not quite the beautiful European summer I had bargained for. We were immediately greeted by our airbnb host, who was lovely. The place was so quaint and beautiful; and definitely enhanced the stay in Vilnuis. The location could not have been better as we were right in the town square of the Old Town and surrounded by delicious restaurants!

 There are over 40 churches in Vilnius. There is basically a church on every corner as you walk around the town, all beautifully and uniquely designed.
The beautiful view over Vilnuis. The other side of this hill was the completely modern business area. Very interesting to see. 
This was the art district known as Uzupis in Vilnuis. 
This was all at Trakai Castle, which was a highlight of Vilnius and Europe in general. Of course, it did help that the weather was beyond perfect.
 We went to the most beautiful restaurant for dinner. They refilled our bread dish multiple times with the tastiest bread I have ever eaten, ie the best place in the world! What I would do for some of that bread right now...
 A Jewish memorial shrine at the Ninth Fort.
I got the most beautiful shoes handmade to fit my tiny feet. If you are in Vilnius I definitely recommend this shoe store. They made these shoes in under a day for me. Excellent customer service!

I loved Vilnius; the food, the buildings, the knowledge I gained. I could not recommend visiting the Baltic countries enough. Although, I would recommend travelling in Summer. I travelled in June, but I'd suggest to go even later in July or August just because it still is a bit cold and you do want to enjoy your European summer and not wear jeans and a jacket everyday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment